- General Information
- Pool Schedule and Fees
- Swim Lessons
- Swim Teams and Water Polo
- Recreational and Family Swim
- Lap Swim and Masters Swim/Master Water Polo
- Water Aerobics and Water Walking
- Adaptive/Therapeutic Programming
- School Programs
- Events and Specialty Classes
- Photo Album
- Concessions Menu
Family YMCA of the Desert
43-930 San Pablo Ave.
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Fax #: 760-779-9651
WATER AEROBICS AND WATER WALKING
With the many benefits of water exercise, cross training is one of the key elements in making any fitness program successful! These non-impact classes are designed to give a full body workout and are adjustable to all athletic abilities. So, water you waiting for? Instead of getting bored in your routine - change it up and take part in the many benefits of water exercise. You will see the results!
Please call the Palm Desert Aquatic Center 1-760-565-7467 for more information
Simple Benefits of Water Exercise
- Exercise is easier and less painful when supported by water making movement, ranging from simple exercises to those nearly impossible on land, achievable.
- The buoyancy of the water helps protect your joints from impact often associated with exercising on land.
- Water provides twelve percent more resistance than movement on land – without the gravitational stress and pain.
- Expect Increased: Strength, flexibility, energy, range of motion, muscle tone, oxygen/circulation, endurance, balance, coordination, self esteem, safety, and enjoyment of life.
- Expect Decreased: Stress, blood pressure, tension, weight, pain, body fat, impact on joints, and risk of injury.
Water Adds Resistance and Strength
The resistance of water is perfect for a strength-training workout and can be as much as twelve times greater than air. Instead of weights and a weight room, the water itself provides challenge. Create resistance in the water by cupping your hands and pushing or pulling water towards or away from you. Depending on the force exerted, the speed of movement, and the surface area presented, the range of resistance obtained will adjust. Water surrounds you during the entire exercise routine making resistance three-dimensional. Movement in one direction meets with equal resistance in the opposite direction and encourages muscle balance and parity. Hand paddles, floatation bar bells, or other specific equipment created for strength training in the water can also aid to increasing the intensity and work load of your workout.
No Water Aerobic Classes Thursday and Friday, November 21st and 22nd
For more information please call us at 760.565.7467